[LRFlex] Re: R4s

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:37:34 +0100

I agree with Doug's opinion about the SL. Although I have never owned
one, from all I have read and heard, it is as reliable as the SL2.

>Many early R4 bodies were very unreliable but by the time the R4s was
>produced the reliability problems had been sorted out.

Doug must have been very lucky. I had the following problems with my
secondhand R4 (bought from a good dealer, who eventually took it back
and refunded me)

- The DOF lever was sticky and the actuating button broke off when I
tried to use it

- a fresh battery went flat after 3 days and 12 shots

- On each shot there was a 3cm (~1 in.) wide orange/red stripe due to a
defective film cartridge window masking foam rubber.

- The film transport did not work correctly and I had double- treble-
and other multiple- exposures. Not a single shot of my test film was
correct

While I may have been particularly unlucky with the R4 I bought, I NEVER
had such an amount of incidents from any previous "quality" camera I
owned (Leica IIIb,M3, 5 Alpa Reflexes, 5 Nikons, 5 Exactas and several
others).

I am not the only one with such "bad luck" and you can find many more R4
horror stories in the archives of the Leica Forum and other user groups.

My advice for someone buying an R4(x) body is to get it with a guarantee
you can return it no-questions-asked within a reasonable period (like 2
weeks), and at least a 60 day warranty beyond that. Repairs on R bodies
are quite expensive.

Peter Werner
http://www.alpareflex.com
http://www.kilfitt.org