[LRflex] Re: R10 speculation

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:17:23 +0200

Hello Keith, all

My 0.02 Camembert on the sensor for the R10: the industrial in electronics way
is to mutualize the development, hence, the R10 is going to share  part of
electronics of the M8.

In a sense, it's rather good news since that camera produces good results out
of a 10MP sensor with a crop factor of 1.3 (let's hope they keep this idea, a
28 is equivalent to 35mm easy).

Then the next generation of 24mm ASPH will be nice (Oscar Barnack was
ASTHmatic... lens are ASPHeric  and BOCK-eh is to the beer what bokeh is the
lens )

But the bad news is the price tag and the size of the hard Disk required to
store all them pix

My Current Digilux at 7.5 MP is quite sufficient for the pictures produced, no
big enlargement though.---------------------------------Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:25:36 +0100> From:
keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [LRflex] R10
speculation> > Folks, David> Interesting news. The comment about heavy lenses
echoes my criticism; > you don't have to make lenses weigh a ton to get good
optical > performance, certainly with modern materials. As I commented on my >
250/4 Telyt, it's excessively heavy for its power. Presumably the > weight is
due to using lots of brass in its construction; what about > stainless steel,
titanium, magnesium/aluminium alloys? It must be near > twice the weight of my
sigma 400/5.6 - and that's autofocus, too. I'm > pretty sure it's also heavier
than my 400/5.6 Novoflex (now there's a > statement!!) and I'm sure no-one on
this forum would consider that lens > a poor performer. Given Leica's high lens
prices, there must be scope > for using high-tech materials to get the weight
down. Brass is hardly > state of the art!> > The other thing that somewhat
shocks me is the suggestion of 40 MP. > Why??? 3x4 metre enlargements? 90%
crops? You've seen my results off > the Sigma and D60; the originals are even
sharper, since their image > size isn't reduced for the web. And that's only 6
MP on an APS-C size > sensor. I know people who still stick to their EOS 1D Mk1
at 4 MP, > because they get better results than from the affordable modern >
equivalent. More pixels doesn't necessarily equate to more sharpness; > the
more you cram on the sensor, the more noise filtering you need, > because you
need more gain per pixel to get sufficient sensitivity to > light. And that
filtering negates the benefit of more pixels - in fact, > often giving less
sharpness than a lower pixel count. My Fuji > demonstrates that well: the 6 MP
S5600 produces results easily as sharp > as the 9MP S9600, and seemed much
quicker to focus, etc. More pixels > also means more data to manipulate and
store, and that takes more time. > So you lose out on things like multiple
shots (especially with RAW) and > the transfer time to the card. And,
potentially, less reliable storage, > since you are bound to have to push the
boundaries to get fast enough > transfer.> > Mount: I would be very surprised
if Leica make the mount genuinely > compatible with earlier lenses without some
form of modification. What > about 1-CAM, 2-CAM, 3-CAM etc? I bet they did
quite a good bit of > business adding cams to older lenses! If you swan along
in the belief > that your customers are so hooked on your brand that they'll
just pay > up, why would would you pass up the opportunity to do the same again
- > and maybe at even higher cost?> > I really hope that Leica get the R10
right for the market. We shall see....> Cheers> Keith Longmore> ------>
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:>
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm> Archives are at:>
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!