[LRflex] Re: R-10, M and X camera Info (long)

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:10:29 +0200

Hi David,
2 other possible reasons for FF+ sensor
1) 16:9 format (wider mirror - not deeper)
2) To minimise edge effects - slight sensor curvature would mean a larger sensor size to cover a fullframe format

David Young wrote:
Good Evening all:

Coyly, he asked: /"What might the model name be? I cannot say, but if you can count to 10, you will probably have a good idea! What will be the features of this new camera? Think of a wish list... auto-focus? A full frame sensor? A sensor perhaps larger than full frame?"

/
When asked if the new lenses would be AF, Hr. Kaufmann simply replied /"Think about your wish list."
/
Your "personal" or your "collective?
/
/When asked if the new lenses would be metal, as now, or employ some polycarbonate or other "space age" materials, he simply said /"I am sorry, but I am not allowed to answer that question."
/
Which is answer enough!

He also indicated that "Camera X" would be introduced. It is not known by that name, but he said that this was how he would refer to it at this time. He gave no more information, but a chart of the line showed it as being near the Digilux 3 - perhaps a possible replacement. This makes me wonder if Leica plan to skip the latest incarnation of the Panasonic DSLR and have something else by fall! Time will tell.
Prosumer level 1.33x DSLR?
For old R-lenses?

Whatever the new cameras are to be, Leica have just over 11 months to tool and produce. They are going to be busy beavers!

Let the speculation begin!

Cheers!
Thanks for the info David
Cheers