[LRflex] Re: R-10 Confirmed!

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:09:20 +0200

Mehrdad,
From my neck of the woods (Germany), and a couple of Leica knowledgables, I've heard very strong rumours that the new DSLR will indeed be full frame (one even mentioned two different versions - low spec 1.33 factor sensor and an up-market full-frame Pro camera) - two ranges of lenses, premium and prosumer qualities. R-Mount compatible with older lenses, something like the barcode idea of the M8 to communicate the data of older lenses, new lenses with AF contacts embedded in the lens mount. These statements are only educated guesses which may or may not be based on facts, none of which has been corroborated, but the sources are usually very reliable.

As to your other questions, I personally think they will have to get into carbon fibre/synthetics in the construction of both the bodies and lenses. Also increased use of moulded lens elements.
1) to cut down the weight for AF.
2) to make series production more cost effective

Whatever we are going to see, I'm sure it won't be cheap.
Douglas

mehrdad wrote:
also do you all think of the following

1) pricing of the new lenses will follow the sumirats or traditional
leica prices and how fast can leica ramp up with new lenses. the
current 28-90 is over 4k now

2) will they go for zooms or prime, my guess is zoom and more zoom

3) would they borrow the IS technology from panasonic?

4) leica lenses are heavy already, are they going to hi tech plasic
with the new AF lenses?

5) are we sure it is an R and not a 4/3 system??

On 10/15/07, mehrdad <msadat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the other question is also avilibility to the public, how long more
after introduction

On 10/15/07, Christopher Birchenhall <crbirchenhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Doug

If that information is sound then things could be very interesting -
though as you said before at what price?

Chris B

On 15/10/2007, telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
classwp@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Will it have the same mount?
The rumors I've heard say exisiting R lenses will be fully compatible, will
also accept new AF lenses.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com