[LRflex] Re: R lenses on Nikon

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:59:57 -0700

On Feb 5, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:

Steve: I own and use 2 Visoflex lenses on my Nikon D1x, but as I learned, if used at full aperture, they work fine I am old enough to have used preset
lenses, as well as many of the users of this list.  .

For the youngsters on this group...... On preset lenses, the steps are the
same as noted, except that the aperture setting is 2 rings... one is
basically a preset stop... so you rotate the ring to hit your preset stop, without removing your eye from the camera to change F-Stops to the shooting
aperture.

Preset lenses went out in the 60's or 70's..... They went out because they
were slow, missed shots, and in general a PITA to use.  Auto Diaphragm
lenses became the norm, and no one went looking backwards......

I never claimed that there were not work arounds.. like focus at shooting aperture...... Nor did I claim that the results were not spectacular from Leica glass. I mention the PITA factor specifically because it is real, and
the original poster may never have used preset lenses to assess his
tolerance for the proposed cross dressed camera.

The PITA factor is real.  His tolerance for it is his decision.

If the original poster lives without a film lab nearby, does not want to
mail off his film for processing, self processed film and a purchased
scanner is out of the question financially, then maybe the solution is to use Canon or Nikon glass on his Nikon or Canon DSLR. Maybe Leica glass is out of the range of practicality for him. I know for me, any R lenses are not in my camp yet; that an M8 is still a dream, and that as an amateur, I can not justify $2-5K for a DSLR ( I purchased a Nikon D1x recently for
$450); and more to the point, I may never be able to get a Leica DSLR.

the R10 if/when ever available will be expensive......too much for me,

I do have R lenses...so along with Nikkor glass, the D700 is the best realistic option,

many thanks Frank,

Steve

Those are practical realities.

Frank Filippone