[LRflex] Re: Prince William's dream

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:46:39 -0700

Philippe,

I'll gratefully add the G7 to the mix of "what  to do now," and I
thank you for the suggestion.

When I wrote "I am a "wannabe" newspaper or magazine
photographer..." I failed to explain what I intended to say.

My "wannabe" is wanting to continue to learn to "see" the
opportunities, the composition, the angles, the framing, and the
cropping that are exemplified by the best of the images that appear
in newspapers and magazines. Those are my standards, the kind of
photographs I would like to produce, my reference images of what are
"good" photographs.

I am sure others have different bodies of work they wish to emulate:
Joseph Karsh, Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Davis Douglas Duncan, Richard
Avedon, and many more.

My dad was a newspaper reporter who early on learned to make his own
photographs to keep from having to depend on a third person showing
up when he was interviewing someone for a story, and I saw what his
success ratio was like. (Meaning no disrespect, Ted; it's a true
story.) Later, a brother-in-law of mine was a professional
photographer and he was excited by getting one of a 500 or 1000
frames in print.

So my interests is to continue learning how to photograph the
mundane, the everyday, what I see before me, in a way that will
create an artful record of the world around me, where ever I may go.

It is that art of "seeing" what image is possible out of what I see
before me that intrigues me.

All the best,

Bill

On Jun 7, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Philippe Amard wrote:

William Abbott wrote:

> I am a "wannabe" newspaper or magazine  photographer;

Go N then - no alternative, very unfortunately this is the only option
left.
The D200 is a wonderful tool - with beautiful fast AF fast lenses - I
spent monday evening reading the text of a slide show for an N user
friend of mine - his photos were projected 2m x 3 and were pure wonders.
With you could see that.

But from what I read between your lines, a small, ready to shoot , easy
to use camera would probably be ok along the DMR/R while waitng for the
the R10.
Have you considered the G7 - I know I have a +++  bias for that camera,
and I know why - slim, light, versatile (with add-on lenses you get
amazing results at both ends - macro and tele) fairly cheap and nearly
disposable - can be connected to TV screen and is 10mp, not bad after
all, is it not?

Trying to find a duplicate of the R combo might mean redundancy for one
or the other - so why not have a look at something completely different?
This is just another suggestion.
Yours

Phil..x