[LRflex] Re: Photographers vs snapshooters

  • From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:54:25 -0500

> >From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I hear people say that going digital has improved
> >their photography.  Piffle and balderdash!!!  Anyone can get the odd
> >good photograph or three by chance, after shooting hundreds of images.
> >It takes skill to get good pictures every time with a 120 or 35mm
> >camera.  But most people don't want to have to work at it these days.

I don't know if I agree with this sweeping statement.  Lots of good
photography out there these days.  What you may mean, I hope you mean is
that most people don't know how to edit their stuff,  nor do they get
knowledgeable people to help them edit.

That said, over at Photo.net, there is some pretty good appraisals of work
going on.

This past week, I shot about thrre hundred shots of musical performances,
and so far about ten have made my cut.  It doesn't have anything to do with
the exposure, it has everything to do with the moment.  in jazz and
classical string performances, there are only a few times you can shoot,
without incurring the wrath of the nearby audience.  I was shooting
primarily with my 35 summicron on an M8, but another (authorized) shooter
used an M6, and she had the same problem.

> On 6/10/07, Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, I still am a science/photography teacher (for 3 more days) and as last
> few years go by I see that taking pictures has gotten easier and easier
> but
> taking photographys is getting more difficult for my students.  They don't
> get to use digital in the class - B&W film only, and manual cameras.

It makes me kind of sad that you kept to the old rules when the future is
clear.  I'm not too sure you've been serving these students well lately.
There is a lot you could have taught them using digital.

About ten years ago, the guy who teaches Fine Art Photography  here at the
University became ill, and I was called upon to teach his Advanced
Photography  class.   (Interesting, of the three photo teachers here, I'm
the only one who has made my living by the camera.)

Anyhow, we dispensed with the darkroom, and I taught them Photoshop.  We had
(have) a nice computer lab with printers.  They were to submit all work on a
webpage.

One assignment required the use of  single use cameras.   They had the film
processed, and scanned the negs.  the assignment was, "Tell me a Story.'

So,
> you are correct.  People don't have to work at it these days, but you only
> accomplish as much as you are willing to work at.  (bad grammer, I
> know)  On
> a roll of 36 I expect to get 30 good photos that I would not mind showing
> and perhaps 5 that are real winners that I would go out of my way to show.

I don't hold myself or anyone else to such harsh standards, and  if you are
getting 5 winners off each roll, perhaps you should have not been in
education.  You might have been a rich man.

My digital buddies (casual shooters) still crank out one or two good shots
> at a session (family get together or vacation ) but I have to look through
> hundreds of photos to see them where as before it was only subjected to a
> roll or two of film.  Too bad there is no photon capture tax.

There ya go.  They have not been taught to edit.  One day, my mother in law
walked in, and I showed her a handful of  4 x 6 machine prints.  She was
properly wowed.  she asked how I could get so many keepers when so many of
her shots were out of focus or badly exposed.

I pointed into the trash can next to my desk that had all the bad shots.

> Aram - about to retire.

Next month, I'll be 63.  I have  a 17 year old son who is pursuing a career
in Music.  I will most probably be the roadie for a few more years, and if
he's really successful, I'll get a new job driving the bus, and  screening
the groupies. ;-)

Not planning to retire ever.
--
Regards,