[LRflex] Pana G1 some thoughts

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:34:22 +0800

Hello David
Please see my comments below (*)
Good Mornin' Howard!

If I may be so bold, though the lens appears sharp, the contrast does
not seem to be a patch on the Leica glass... though I guess this
should not surprise me.

* I agree - although for a US$470 zoom with anti shake built in - it does remarkably well. But, you'll have no argument from me about the absolute quality of Leica lenses.

How are you/Esther enjoying the G1?  How do you find it's
viewfinder?  (And don't say "by looking through the eyepiece!")

* Esther still prefers her Canon G9 (which will now be the back up to the G1) and I would never try to convince anyone that the EVF is a substitute for a real prism viewfinder. But, having said that it is the best EVF on the market so far and it works well. The fact that it brightens up as you stop a lens down is very helpful and the up to 10X magnification is really helpful for achieving accurate focus - especially with wide angles. But the fiddling means that grab shots are not easily snapped.

Like you, I've considered it as a travel/backup camera ... especially
with the ability to use my existing Oly & Leica glass via an adapter.

* Indeed that is what drew me to the G1 in the first place - the ability to mount and focus so many different lenses (including M series!!) using magnification and live view. It is a remarkable instrument because of that. I am sure the later iterations will be even more amazing. And. of course, compared to Leica digital it is just plain dirt cheap.

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

* Hope the above is a bit helpful.

Cheers!

* Cheers back and best to Rose.