[LRflex] Re: One more rumour...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:02:48 -0700

a aa wrote:

Interesting you regard 90 as normal. My 'normal' is in fact a 50. On
the R I use an 8 element Summilux.

Everyone "sees' differently. Most folks use a 50 or a 35 as "normal", and I admit to being the "odd man out". These days, my "normal" lens is the 80~200/4 Vario, followed closely by the 400 Telyt. Wides are used less than 10% of the time. With the R8 is was the 21/4 SA, and with the Canon 30d it is the 10~22 w/a Canon zoom (not a bad lens, though it shows some barrel distortion at the wide end. OTOH, at 10mm (effectively 16mm) it's one heckuva wide, when your back is to the wall!).

Regarding a 35/0.9 lens, if this were to be made for an SLR it would
be HUGE, bigger than a 50 of the same aperture and performance.

I think such lenses, be they made by Leica, Voigtlander or anyone else, are in the domain of rangefinder cameras, alone. I'd hate to see/pay for/carry such a lens for a reflex camera!

I remember seeing an article in Mod Photo on Voigtlander
prototypes and high speed - 0.95, 60 mm lens was mentioned.

Hmm... I really should read more! Perhaps Leica were worried about losing their crown as producer of the world's fastest lenses, for 35mm?