[LRflex] Re: On the Ice ... For Ted.

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:48:44 -0800

David Young offered:
> emulate Dr. Ted's patented "Swishy Pan" shot.
>
> http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Stake_04.html
>
> It didn't work out quite as sharp as I'd have liked, but I still like
> it....<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi David,
Given I'm not supposed to be on this machine due to R&R (recovery & rest)  I
try to sneak in quick looks when SWMBO is out or busy . However catching
me????????????? Death awaits me! Well not quite, but a verbal scolding the
likes the Devil himself coudn't make up. :-)

OK quickly:

1/ You must be on the straight stretch of the track never mind any corners.
period! This allows a perfect left to right "Swishy Pan" of the moving bike! Go
to manual focus and be focused on the track line he's running on before he gets
to absolutely right angles to you.

2/ whatever it takes to get down to say 1/30th or 1/15th set and locked! When
he starts down the straightaway pick him up in the viewfnder... "DO NOT TOUCH
FOCUS EVEN IF HE'S BLURRED OUT!" WHY? Well if you've prefocused on the track
he'll be flying past you he'll be infocus at that time! It doesn't matter what
he looks like at the far end of the track as he enters the straight. He will
ride into focus as he approaches your on track focus point right in front of
you.

3/ Now you're following him through the viewfinder and swish-panning with him
as fast as he is moving and follow through just like swinging a baseball bat or
golf club.  If you have motor drive start firing a frame or two before he gets
directly at right angle to you and flollow through a frame or two after he's
passes.

4/ Or if you wish to live dangerously fire one frame as you and camera are
swishing with him at exactly the same speed. "Don't think about it as it's far
more important for you to physically be moving at the same speed he is. One
frame or motor drive. And follow through.

5/ BUT YOU MUST FOLLOW WITH HIM UNTIL HE HAS PASSED YOU!
DO NOT THINK OF THIS AS A "ONE SHOT WONDER MOMENT."  As in "click and stop your
body motion as you "click!" You must shoot and continue the body motion as fast
as the rider is going.

As soon as the next rider or two neck and neck come down the track shoot them
in similar fashion. This kind of shooting exercise with digital is wonderful
because you can look at it immediately right after the shot. Shoot lots of them
in this fashion and you will create some very interesting effects with the bike
sharp and the background a complete swishy-pan of colour!

It's most important that you swish your body at exactly the same speed he is
moving!  Good luck.

If you find the blurr is too much IE: the bike is blurring try a slightly
higher shutter speed. Each sport dictates what the shutter speeds are depending
on whether it's a runner or a 250 klm Ferrari blowing by you.

Gotta go, I think I heard the car door! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted