[LRflex] Re: Old slides and negatives given new life in BW - more Dales and Whitby - For Alan

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 16:09:36 +0200

Alan:

I'm vintage 1952 - from New Farnley, near Leeds.

I spent a lot of time hiking and travelling (on foot) from one YHA to the next throughout the Yorkshire Dales. My favourite hostel was Stainforth in Ribblesdale, an old mansion with a pillared portico and a warden who set records for staying in isolation down potholes (I believe he was called Reg Workman). Then later, we rented cottages in Bainbridge, Kettlewell, Ingleton, Gunnerside, Thwaite, Reeth, Muker and Richmond - and my greatest love for a good wander was up Gunnerside Gill, then either across the moors at the top and take the long drag down Hard Level Gill past the Old Gang and Surrender smelt mills and back over the hill for a pint in Feetham (or was it Low Row - I'm no longer sure where the pub was) and the walk along the banks of the Swale back to Gunnerside.

Another favourite route was from Thwaite to Keld, around Kisdon Hill, and back down the valley past Crackpot Hall and Swinner Gill Kirk and a stop for a pint in Muker.

There are quite a few shots of the Dales here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/Yorkshire/

The coast (mostly Whitby) is here, with a couple of sub-albums
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Whitby/

Cheers
Douglas

Alan Kett wrote:
Douglas:

I'm a read-only guy on the forum, but I felt compelled to write, having looked at your "time machine" images. You and I must be much of an age. I grew up in Stockton-on-Tees in the 50's and 60's and spent my youth visiting just the same places you did. I bicycled all over the Pennines, especially Swaledale and Wensleydale, as a teenager and was a frequent visitor to the youth hostels there. Whitby was a favorite destination for the Sunday family outing in the Morris Minor, so the shots of the town resonated with me.

I wish I'd documented my youth as extensively as you did. Even the hair looks familiar, but is, alas, a distant memory now. :)

Regards,
Alan

    Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 1:40 PM

    Thanks to all who took a look so far, and your kind comments,

    As in the first set, some of these are at least 40 years old - I
    think the earliest is from around 1965, of me stting in my school
    uniform and making Christmas garlands, but there are some from the
    late eighties, too.

    The original slides have lost some colour but some are still very
    sharp (I'm certain that the cottage gardens in RHB were shot with
    a Zeiss Ikon SL706 with an Ultron 50 - an utterly gorgeous lens
    that I still kick myself for having sold).

    Hope you enjoy this new set, there's more to come later.

    I'm on the ones I didn't take

    The new set starts here with a shot of where I was born and lived
    until I was 12 or 13 and finishes with the first shot I ever took
    with a Leica - in 1977 in Neuharlingersiel on the German North Sea
    coast (it was an M2 complete with a collapsible Elmar 50 that I
    bought from a colleague at work):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Old+Slides+and+Negs/Old_slides_20031119-0_7b.jpg.html

    Cheers
    Douglas

begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1