[LRflex] Of summicron, Tamron and all the gear

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:10:51 +0200

Hello All, David.

In fact David, you asked a private mail for showing some combinations, I'll do that with some few things found, I thought I had deleted...

But, as Charlie Chan has taken some time to calm me down about me fear that the Tamron SP is so so, especially with a 2x Converter, I would like to show some samples.

Warning, these are huge files, full scale Digilux with of course some compression. I you live far away from my French ISP, be patient...

Let's go: http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Circuit/

it contains 3 directories, mentionning the lens used. Even the summicron was set to F4 (the light meter of the Digilux 3 seems happy with that)

While you have launched your fav, here is the explanation:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Circuit/Summicron_90/
I have read from Doug Herr, this might be amongst th best ever tele photo lens. Indeed, it does at F4, it delivers very little details even the original Vario Elmar had not reproduced (to my opinion).
Look at the rubs in the cylinder of
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Circuit/Summicron_90/_1010438_cor.JPG

Of course, thumb up for the lens...

Now, the Tamron SP, full aperture F3.5
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Circuit/Tamron_Zoom/

I tried to use the end, 210 (which is a respectable 420mm)
It is rather nice. The subjects were rather moving and I agree that the focus may be be better.
To me it smears a little the details.
It is rather good though.

The latest is really soft, the 2X converter:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/Circuit/Tamron_2x/

Of course this is a 800mm F5.6, the focus is done on the tail of the motoercycle.

What I don't like in that latest is the kind of "smear" around the edges.

Ah, er, yes, forgot to say, I spend a day on a motorcycle race track. These are amateurs, coming for a thrill or to train for the next competition.

Thanks for looking, sorry for the hugeness but it gives an idea of what the Leica galss can do on a Gigilux 3. And it's not bad.