[LRflex] Re: OT:Ricoh GXR M Module on dpReview

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 22:41:55 -0400

Hi Doug,
   To chime in on the line of thought of 'why' would Leica make a camera
suitable for using manual lenses on and importantly: use them well. The answer
is straight forward and set forth pretty well by Leica itself on a couple of
occassions recently. To paraphrase Leica's own executives: Leica M users and
owners are getting old. Fast Aperture rangefinder photography requires good
eyesight to achieve reasonable accuracy and despite the valiant efforts of
1-800-Contacts and Lasik Surgeons far and wide - aging eyes means declining
eyes for most folks. Leica very much wants a Digital Body customers can both
put their M lenses on and buy lenses for when the time comes to put their DRF's
aside. Simple really. Reasonable too imo.
Whether Leica executes the R Adapter for this coming camera at all successfully
is anyone's guess. Til someone actually sees and or uses one every one's guess
is as good as another. The ones who have designed &/or used any prototypes
aren't talking yet and they're the only ones who have the straight story at
this point.

All we can know is a) R lenses will bayonet to it and b) it will be Expensive
with a capital E.

I won't be buying one is all I know for sure. At least not without a winning
lottery ticket or sumfin! My M8 Outfit is my pricey bit O' Kit. Replacing it is
far far off: if ever really.

Sincerely

Richard Ward

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."