[LRflex] Re: OT: Sigma SD1 availability update | Photo Rumors

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 15:38:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

George Lottermoser wrote:

>On May 20, 2011, at 11:55 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:
>
>> who will pay 10K $ for a Sigma cropped sensor?  is what I'd like to know...
>> I was curious, possibly interested if the price was 20 % of what it is...
>> so how they decided that the price point should be 10k$ is anyone's guess...
>
>It will have to come down to what the tool actually delivers in terms of:
>dynamic range
>fine detail rendering
>build quality, weather sealing
>brightness and size of viewfinder
>battery life
>processing speed
>glass quality and availability
>etc.

Certainly there is a widespread perception that Sigma + crop sensor does not
equal a $10k camera.  Recalling there were those who were certain that the
DMR's image quality would be hopelessly outdated by the time it reached the
market, and given that my perception is based on Bayer-pattern sensors and an
obsession with Leica's APO lenses, I'm willing to wait and see how the camera
works and what kind of image quality it produces before forming an opinion.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com