[LRflex] Re: Nikon Step Down Mechanism Ponderings

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:35:45 -0500

That's the 'rub'.
Hiring a Shop to Program and Mill 10 or 20 plates on their CNC Machine
would (in my mind) be UTTERLY COST PROHIBITIVE.
However that's why I've been using the phrase 'Friendly Machinist' or
'Friendly Shop' in my Ponderings on this Topic.
If memory serves (- and it's doesn't always!): I directly noted some
of the Leica Enthusiasts coming to market (at friendly prices) the
Machine Shop Sourced parts and adapters necessary to access Leica's 6
bit lens codes with Non-Leica Lenses and with classic & modern lenses
using the old Leica Thread Mount.
Not sure how detailed I was in my reference though! It's also where
the ThumbsUP came from, the Soft Release, Codable LTM to M mount
adapters, and replacement mounts for some of the Zeiss M Lenses which
were un-codable at the time.
Match Technical is one of the companies which comes to mind
specifically.

I'm not implying Easy or Straight Forward or even Likely that a
'plate' which could be swapped for an easily removed Nikon Part which
would then make a D700 into an R Lens Using Wonder Camera. The
actuator issue strikes me as more of a design issue - especially if
the nikon stop down actuator could be reutilized to move a part
suitable for stopping down an R lens properly. Creative engineering
and wiring would definitely be needed and possibly a few test designs
to sort that issue, but it ain't exactly like we're trying to invent a
Lunar Lander or Sumphin! Tom Hanks already did that, didn't he? (joke)

As for buying an off the shelf sensor from Kodak, building the circuit
boards and chips to make it work, then make the modified parts
function inside a DMR Donor Module would require a hell of a lot of
expertise and specialized knowledge. If someone here as access to a
clean room, computer hardware engineers, and programmers intimate with
R9 firmware and DMR Firmware and the latest Kodak Sensor Technologies,
for god's sake man! Speak Up.

It's the 'Proper' route for a Leica or PhaseOne to take to build and
design a terrific R Solution. For a group of friends kicking the
scuttlebutt round an internet campfire it doesn't seem like a doable
route to embark upon. Sorry. That's my judgement on it - I could
easily be utterly wrong on that point - just as I could be utterly
wrong on the possibility of making a D700 and Auto Aperturing R Mount
Camera. :-)

Peace Everyone

R. in Mi.