[LRflex] Re: Nikon Step Down Mechanism Ponderings

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:12:40 -0500

Oooh Oooh!
Let me take  crack at it, please-please.
(just a little silliness - nothing to worry about)

Andy,
    my 2 cents is that it would take  substantive engineering and
design expertise resources (ie:$$$) to create and manufacture a
'Modern' DMR Module. A couple of Tinkerers and such on an internet
mailing list would be unlikely to sniff out the funds or the expertise
to pull it off. What they 'could' do was figure out a 'plate' to
replace the Lens Mount Ring of a D700 & have a friendly CNC Machinist
knock out a few copies. (the mount difference between R and N is a
measly .5mm - plus the differing Lug Pattern) Add in figuring out how
to mount an actuator suitable for the R Aperture Mechanism Mechanics
and be wired off it's the camera's existing wiring schematic and
computer programs. I don't consider that 'concept' to be all that far
outside the reach of a few people banding together on the internets.

I wholly and utterly think a 'new' DMR Module from the Mothership in
Solms is a heck of a lot better option, but -show of hands please- who
think that's ever gonna happen?
:-)

Maybe the newly released thoughts from the Leica CEO regarding the 'R
Solution slash AF Option For M Lens Owners' might prove to be a
workable camera after all and put a D700 conversion in the who cares
column. Who knows.
See LeicaRumors.com and the new thread on LUF for more details on that
CEO Trivia.

Richard

\