[LRflex] Re: Nikon Step Down Mechanism Ponderings

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:51:43 -0500

Hello Bill,
    I must admit that I completely wiffed on catching on to the fact
you were arguing against marrying an R9 front with D700 back! mea
culpa on that one.
    I must also admit that I am genuinely optimistic about the
challenge of making a D700 have an Auto Aperture R Mount being within
the grasp of tinkerers and creative thinkers. There is also the giant
caveat to the potential for the unknown coming up to bite one in the
butt - unchangeable wiring, unalterable limits on space, un-obtanium
actuators or motors - the unknown genuinely is unknown at this point.
    I would also like to advance an economic rationale for embarking
on the endeavour of attempting a conversion. Assuming a starting
premise that Leica would build a 'Unicorn' (the mythical Digital R) I
don't see much hope that it would cost any less than an M9 ie:
$7,000us. Using that figure, hypothetical that it is, if one were to
find a design for an R'd D700 the cost of such a camera would be the
$3,000us of the D700 plus the cost of the conversion and it's
constituent parts. I would see merit in thinking that conversion &
it's parts wouldn't aggregate to more than the difference between $7k
and $3k ie: 4,000 bucks. This is assuming it's a cooperative endeavor
rather than one for profits and, really, at this point - how big could
the market for such a thing be.

Anyway, I do know I'm precluded by disability from being point person
on the project. Trust me on this, ok? In defense, I should be having
an economic windfall this year (fingers crossed) and wouldn't hesitate
to kick in a few hundred to help pay for machining/cnc'ing.
Potentially even a Donor Camera to Prototype with - with dibs on it if
it ultimately works!

Sincerely
Richard in Michigan