[LRflex] New M8 charger....

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:54:26 -0700

Those of you who own the M8 as well as Leica SLR's may find this interesting.

Many of you will recall my very satisfactory "weight loss surgery" for the DMR's charger. ( http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/charger )

When I did this, I wrote it up for the LHSA's Viewfinder - (See Volume 40, No. 1, p.13) . I also sent a pre-publication copy (a PDF) to Leica for their information. I make not claims that I have had any influence on Leica, for I am sure they have had many complaints about the size of the M8's charger ... for it is almost as big as the camera itself!

With the DMR now sold out, it is unlikely that the DMR will ever see another charger.

However, Leica have recently announced that the M8 has a new one... a charger for two batteries which appears to be less than half the size of the original M8 one for charging but one battery at a time. The M8's charger, btw, is very similar to the DMR's charger and was sourced from the same firm as the DMR's charger.

Photos are at:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_charger

At this point, I have no knowledge as to whether the new charger will be supplied with new M8's or if it will be "optional". I also do not know if it will be possible to purchase it, as a part, by those who already have the original charger. For those answers, I suggest you contact Leica.