[LRflex] Re: New Canon sensor 120 megpixels

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:44:30 -0700 (PDT)

Ding!
Great Question Robert!
"Why are the EOS Canon Lenses not as good as the FD Canon Lenses?"
The Answer:
The EOS Lenses gained the Glory-In-Potentia of being Auto-Focus.
I think we can all agree that there is no denying there genuinely exist
photographic situations where if you mate a Good AF Lens with a Camera with
Good
Auto-focus, a Photographer can count on coming away with usable images where in
those same instances a Manual Focus Camera and Manual Focus Lenses wouldn't
guarantee coming away with any usable images at all.

The Clay Feet of Auto-focus Lenses however is the LACK of mechanical
preciseness
that is part and parcel of MOST AF lenses. Canon Included. It's a question more
of engineering choices that were taken rather than preciseness not being
available at all in an Auto-focus lens.

If a customer will pay 'Leica' prices for a lens, Precision is certainly
possible and really should be at that price point!
However, if a camera company is building zooms and primes for 'the masses', the
only way Precision shows up is in describing the lack thereof. Precision in
lenses selling for less than a Hundred and Fifty Bucks?  Ain't Gonna Happen.

If someone pays, in the Canon EOS stable, "L" prices, which start around Seven
Hundred Bucks, it becomes a different story.

When I pick up a 70-200f4 L  or the 17-40f4 L, which are Canon's Cheapest L
lenses, I can fault them on certain points of their design, but not feeling
like
Precision Objects isn't one of them.

Further on this line of thinking, when it comes to Canon's Mass Market Primes
lenses - the 50mm f1.4, the 35mm f2, the 28mm f2.8, and their 50mm f2.5 macro,
the reason they feel the way they do - sloppiness and all- is because they were
engineered decades ago. Seriously - these are lenses rolled out when EOS Film
Cameras first came along in the 1980's. These lenses have also amortized their
design cost away years and years ago so Canon makes money if people buy them
and
if better "__blank__" is desired in a lens, customers are led to the L lenses
with newer designs, much higher prices, and much higher margins.

Switching to a different tack, there is the question of whether we as
photographers lost something when AF Cameras came to rule the roost?

We certainly did. Though, that doesn't mean we haven't gained in other areas.
This isn't a Zero-Sum Equation here. It's more complex than that, just like
much
of life in general.

Sincerely,
Richard in Michigan