[LRflex] Re: Looking at the camera

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:07:29 -0700

Walter,

Here are some ramblings that came up for me after seeing your "faces in the
shutter" picture.

I am an amateur photographer who has never made a dime from a picture and most
likely never will but seldom if ever photograph people who are looking at me
without their permission (except for friends and acquaintances) and on the
street I usually try to avoid including recognizable faces at least in the
foreground of any picture.

Obviously some people are occasionally portrayed when I photograph public
events (parades, etc.) but I try to avoid it, especially here at home in the
U.S. When traveling, I am a bit more relaxed about it knowing that no one who
sees my pictures could possibly know anyone in the frame and vice versa, but
realizing also that photography is a religious or cultural taboo in many places
and among many individuals. If I really want a picture, I always choose to ask
permission first.

Maybe I am just shy but I feel that I am simply being respectful of others. I
realize that amateur photography is not professional photography and have no
idea of the legalities surrounding amateur, non-profit-making photography of
the "man in the street."

Perhaps you and others would be kind enough to share your thoughts and
experiences on the ins and outs of this issue, one which has always seemed to
be important to me. Maybe I am simply wrong, or ill-advised, and have nothing
to worry about, and maybe the subject has been cut-and-dried for decades and
that I am simply uninformed.

And no, I haven't Googled the subject yet to find out, preferring to seek the
advice of my Leica friends.

Thanks in advance to all who wish to share.

All the best,

Bill