[LRflex] Re: Les Adieux - no mystery ...

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:03:57 -0400

Hello Philippe,
   my response to your explanation of the 'actual' activities of the people in
your image is to say you have transcended what was actually going on before you
and created an evocative image which expresses things beyond the reality of the
moment.
  To paraphrase a famous quotation: Great Photographs don't come from having
great subjects in front of you, it comes from putting great images in your
camera. Your subject was a couple having a romantic departure on a lovely day
on an old lovely street corner. Yet by your composing, your exposure, and your
decision-maybe instinctual- of when to "Click!" you made an image with your
camera that expresses portent, maybe concern, about what is coming around that
corner.
   Viewers seeing something beyond what a photographer thinks he was putting in
an image is inherent to the process of photography. The relationship we as
photographers have with our images is always going to be different to the
relationship viewers of our images will have, there is no way around it. I
poignantly and powerfully learned that lesson in my Junior year when the
photographer David Plowden guest lectured at my university. I sheepishly laid a
set of images I had put together on the subject of Influences which was, to my
eye, quite flawed on a technical basis. He spent twenty minutes using six or
seven photographs to tell a person he had never met before, me, the
autobiography I had written in those images.

Viewing your image, even knowing how innocuous the original scene was, still
leaves me with the original sensation I described in my original post. A desire
to know what's happening around that corner. That something important is either
occuring or heading toward those people causing them to gaze that way in unison.

Kudos on a great image, sir.

Richard Ward