[LRflex] Re: Leica of Pens; Parker Pelican MontBlanc etc. etc.

No way man
The AE-1 was not a better camera than anything else
out there. It was just cheap and had a lot of features
for the money. At the time it was considered flimsey
along with the rest of the A series including the A-1
when compared to the F1N and it was garbage by Leitz
standards.

The 51 is simply the greatest and best fountain pen in
history. Of course you could argue that there have
been advances in flow technology but I would guess
that most of those advances have been geared to
dealing with unhooded nibs where flow V evaporation is
an issue.

The pens you like all seem to have big unhooded nibs.
These are quasi-caligraphy pens designed to be extra
flexible. You don't need that extra flexibility for
normal every day writing. It can even be detrimental.
The 51 is a pen designed from the start for normal
writing in everyday use over many years. It is a
general purpose pen and doesn't pretend to be anything
else. It was made at a time when anyone wanting to
write with ink had to have a fountain pen and it was
the best one money could buy. It still is! I think
it's the no BS approach that I like most about it. I
have a few dozen pens in my non-collection, but I
never use any of them except the 51 and occasionally a
black Sheaffer nononsense flat top. I use the
nononsense for doodling and the 51 for everything else
including the signing of important documents, like
money orders for those retro-lunatics who don't have
paypal.
Javier

PS: That ebay guy hasn't gotten back to me.

=== message truncated ===