[LRflex] Re: Leica S2 in hand

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:22:03 -0700

On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:01 AM, a aa wrote:

Howard,

Did the Leica designer say whether or not the current R lens mount
would be retained for the R10?

and lets run through the S2 mount ..and how it works for current R lenses...?

Steve

Regards.

2008/10/1  <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Flexers,
At Photokina in 2006 I was included in a focus group organized by
David Young (thank you again David) to discuss the design of the R10
with Steven Lee, Stefan Daniels and Maike Haiberts (The designer in
charge). I signed a non disclosure agreement and have said nothing for two years. Using the connections from that meeting, this Photokina I set
up a meeting with Ms Haiberts and had the chance to handle and play
with the S2. Henning Wulff joined me for this introduction. The S2 is
light for its size, the lens (the 70mm standard) big, and the camera we
played with has the usual P, A, settings and includes auto ISO among
other features. It take a separate grip with extra battery space for
vertical shooting. The market aimed at is professional fashion and the technology in the S2 will trickle down to the R10 which Maike will start working on as soon as the S2 is launched early next year. It was nice to
see the Leica people upbeat about their prospects for a change.
The S2 is not in my future as a retired amateur photog - but the R10
might be. I have pictures but for some reason I can't get them to upload
to the LUG Gallery.  Will post them when I can.
Howard (on the train from Roma to Cannes)