[LRflex] Re: Leica R rumours?

  • From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:43:56 -0400

Hello Douglas,

Presume you are not an M-User.

IMO this has zero to do with M practice.

I know this is a reflex list..., but :-)

Moreover, fixed focal-length M wides are significantly better performers
than R wides..., on modern film and at their natural resolution. The
Tri lenses distort at the short end and flare on the long end. For "image
quality" they are compromises.

A 16mp sensor might be handy for a pro in a hurry, for ad copy and
some illustration. It's still a digital camera. You want HDTV or "photography",
i.e.., rich textures?

Not just my opinion, BTW, but that of one of Leica's best M8 beta-testers
and close friend in Germany..., who will not be selling either his MP
or M3. :-)

Some recent snaps of M "image quality" from two weeks ago in some tough
and very variable light. It doesn't get more "real" than this...
Looked just like this.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/Ringoes/LUG283.jpg.html>
MP .58, 28/2 ASPH, f5.6 @ 1/250th, Portra 160 VC.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/Ringoes/LUG284.jpg.html>
Same at 1/125th. Comments from another M8/MP friend: "The M8 won't render
that sky with that exposure on the cab."

Some M7, 75/2 AA "image quality" on 100 UC.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/Ringoes/LUG276.jpg.html>
and detail.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/Ringoes/LUG277.jpg.html>
Same trolley with 28/2 <http://www.delawareturtle.com/>