[LRflex] Re: Leica R rumours?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:04:18 -0700

At 01/06/2007, you wrote:
>Going back to rumors:
>  do you have any clue about a digital M b&w only sensor?
>There was something in Luminous Landscape some months ago and was really
>intriguing. A Kodak camera already is around and the way pixels are used to
>create the picture were promising astonish resolution, if I correctly
>remember.
>Flavio

Hi Flavio:

When we were in Wetzlar, last fall, Tom A. asked Steven Lee (at a
public dinner) about the B&W M8, and was told it should be out in
(last) April.  I gather the only change is in the firmware, but the
way they interpret the image should yield an "effective" 17mp
image.... which is significantly more impressive than simply removing
the colour from the 10 mp image.

However, when that statement was made, they had not yet released the
M8 and were not aware of either [a] the demand for the product and
[b] the amount of work doing the recall of the first run of
cameras.  Both have consumed way more capacity than they
thought.  Thus, I am pretty sure that the B&W M8 is "on the back
burner"  ... a project to get around to, when they have time.

Sorry, but I have no information which is more up to date.