[LRflex] Re: Leica R rumours?

  • From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:46:44 -0400

Hello Douglas,

Certainly I get what you're saying. You may even be correct. :-)

Ponder this for a moment.

Recently I've encountered numerous 30 - 40 year old professional
and amateur photographers who are burned out on DSLR's and
have discovered Leica M and the magic of the glass.

To them, the simplicity of the body, clear, bright viewfinder and
the way the M forces you to "see" is a revelation. (Isn't this what
Leica M photography is all about?) They have mostly all discovered
as well that one body and a 35/1.4 can do 90+% of their shooting.

The more things change, the more they remain the same, right?

Currently I shoot occasionally with pro with an art degree who
works in the photography department of a huge health care
system and shoots with two D2x's. He's used every format
known to man and his office is full of workstations and printers
which make so much noise that his hearing is going at age 40.

When we go out, he packs two M's and 2 - 4 lenses. Always
interesting to see what he gets as I "see" wide and he sees
at f1.4. :-) Always nails the exposure, dammit, but he ought to.
It's his job!

My other friend, 38 and a graphic artist in Germany by trade,
travelled with me in the U.K. for a week last year with 2 M's
and five lenses. All his personal work is with the MP and
for the job it's mostly 5D. Can't say more but you will see
his articles in the next and last two LFI's. Horses for courses.

To abandon totally the simplicity of the M way would be a
huge mistake, IMO. I could go on and on..., but I'm sure you
are following this.

Best Wishes,

William