[LRFlex] Re: Leica DMR

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:16:32 +0200

Interesting point Doug,

What it actually, IMO, boils down to at the end of the day is that many of us have had the dream of owning the legendary Leica in our early years. The "Low(er)" cost alternatives are not the things to dream about, I've heard that the Japanese say that certain things have a certain "essence" or "soul", the Germans say "Wertigkeit", something beyond mere value.

The act of buying one is, I believe, for most of us, the culmination of
a long time of dreaming and saving.

Leica has no real charisma if you are able to just go out and say "Nice camera, yes I'll take two"

Paying more than you can afford for a camera makes it particularly special, when it then helps you take the shots you always dreamed of this also adds to the legend.

The Leica doesn't make you a better photographer but it's gratifying to know that if you use it right it will deliver the highest possible quality .

Similarly expensive, a Japanese knife doesn't make you a better cook, a Lamborghini Diablo or a Shelby Cobra doesn't make you a better driver but the inherent charisma does do something emotional to the owner that common everyday things don't.
cheers
Douglas

Personally I don't want a DMR because I'd have to stick it on the back of what I think is one of the ugliest cameras ever to come out of the Leica stable.An R7 digital back would have had me drooling. So I have to make do with a simple Canon 20D - which I can only use with Canon, Zeiss, Pentax M42, Leica-R irrespective of the number of cams,Contax/ Yashica, Tamron, Tokina, Sigma .......................... lenses.

Douglas Herr wrote:
David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... the 20D comes **very** close at 1/4 the price

No disputing the value represented by the 20D but this begs the question....
hasn't Leica always been a premium brand?  Haven't there always been lower-cost
alternatives delivering good quality?  It appears that to many on this list the
20D's performance is good enough - so why have you used Leica before?  Were the
lower-cost film cameras not good enough?