[LRflex] Re: [LRflex]

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:38:56 -0500

 Richard wrote: What is the best focusing screen to use for rapid focusing?
Aplan ground glass or a screen with a central microprism? Would have a fixed
grid aid as suggested by someone on the forum add to easier focussing?
//www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/[2] Richard,
   It depends on the lens you are using and what the aperture is set at
while you are focusing.  With faster lenses microprisms are good, typically
a coarse microprism in the center and a finer one in the periphery
as in the SL.  With slower lenses, or faster lenses with manual diaphragms,
the microprisms especially the central coarse ones, go partly dark and
become less useful.  Plain ground glass doesn't do this, but is dimmer and
harder to judge precise focus.  Plain glass with a cross hair to keep your
eyes focused on the image plane is the best, in theory, for long lenses.
You could get such a screen for the Nikon F.  Not for sports. :-)
   I've always been able to use the SL screen.  I will be watching for
what Doug says when you answer his reply.
result is worth | |/ `o one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun 0
N4003M "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/
   2 //www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/