[LRflex] Re: Keith's shots ( was.. Oooops!)

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:33:12 +0100

Keith, now with URL, posted:

Sorry Ted (and anyone else commenting!) www.pbase.com/leica1938/gig and www.pbase.com/leica1938/eye_show_2007
'Twas the end of a rather long day yesterday - brain went AWOL...

I was talking to a rather experienced digital photographer at work this morning, and his thought was that the polarising filter may be taking some 2 or 3 stops off the exposure, and allowing some camera shake; usually, shake gives a very distinctive result with this camera, so I don't know. I also got less sharp than usual results at about 100 mm, so I'll have to do some experimenting. Like I said, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they'd be very welcome.

Keith - nice shots, but I concur that the shots near the tele end look soft - not camera shake, but just soft. Could be that your polariser filter means that you're using the lens wide-open. The w/a shots look a lot sharper.

Why are you using a polarising filter when, IMHO, there's little need to on a subject like this? I tend to use a polariser when I have lots of distracting reflecting surfaces or I want to cut down on sky glare.

The only filter use more or less permanently on most of my Leica lenses is a UV - more for physical protection than anything else. Saved me when a I dropped a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit recently - cracked filter, but the lens is fine. Now that's a thread that's been done to death, so I'll say no more.... :-)

Best

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst