[LRflex] Re: Interesting Article On Photographic Moments Missed

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:28:18 -0700

Sorry lads I missed earlier participation on this post so my answer quite
possibly will be right off the mark not appropriate to the subject being
discussed. However?

1/ If I were Nick I'd have been shooting away without thought other than
doing my job as a news photographer! That's my job......... shoot the eye
grabbing stuff, not making decisions about being used for whatever reason.
Generally as news photographers' we only have concerns about getting the
picture. However, I will say there have been times I just couldn't take the
picture simply because the scene  was too revolting to look at.

In Nick's case he shoots, the film goes to the office, editors in the "NEWS
BUSINESS"  see the  results in  a horribly gone  wrong war and it's on the
wire gone world wide simply because it's such a  powerful "news photo!"

If it were/was used in a propaganda fashion those decisions are made by the
higher echelons of the State and publishing industry.

A single individual as ourselves can have all the lines in the world to
cross or not. But these decisions are usually very difficult to see & feel
in the middle of a hectic scene such as this. Your mind isn't working as
though you were at a Sunday school picnic with lots of time, but any news
photographer worth his salt is going to shoot this scene as fast and as many
as possible as the scene changed, moment to moment.

One thought to have in mind? What did the editor say to the guy on the right
side of the frame who looks like he may be loading film and not shooting
while all this was going on ??????? Particularly if they were competing wire
services. One has pictures and the other none???????? OUCH! I'd hate to be
the "None picture guy facing the editor!"

Hopefully I'm some where near your discussion points??????

cheers,
Dr. ted