[LRflex] Re: Images

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:25:31 -0700

Keith Longmore asked:

David, et al: the 80-200 V-E: is this a Japanese made lens, Leica badged, as per the original 80-200, or a genuine Leitz product?

The 80~200/f4 Vario-Elmar was 100% designed by Leica, but made by Kyocera (Contax), in Japan, under contract.

It is the baby brother to the 70~180 APO Vario, and was contracted out, because of the complexity of the innards, and the need keep the cost lower than the 70~180/f2.8 APO. If German built, it would have been so close, in price, to the 70~180 that nobody would have bought it.

As it is, everybody seems to sneer at this Japanese built lens, equating it to the earlier, Minolta designed/built Varios.

However, the 70~180 APO is often regarded as the finest zoom lens ever built - equal, in sharpness, contrast and freedom from distortion to the finest prime lenses, made anywhere, by anybody.

The contrast in the 80~200/4 is equal to that of the APO, while offering about 98% of the sharpness and freedom from distortion, in a lighter, smaller aperture version, and less costly. It outperforms all but the very best primes. It easily blows away the 180 Elmar, I replaced with it!

Certainly, in fit, finish and smoothness of operation, it is equal to Leica's finest.

One of the finest image cutters I have ever seen .. and my principal lens for just about everything!

With Kyocera having left the camera making business (now specializing in cel-phone cameras, only) I suspect that any current stock Leica may have will be all that will be available, other than on the used market.

Is it a "Genuine" Leica product?  I'd say so!