[LRflex] Re: IMGs: A photographer and our subject

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:16:22 -0500

On Jul 31, 2011, at 6:15 PM, Aram Langhans wrote:

> Hmm.  Do all photographers lean forward like that just to get a few cm
> closer to their subject?  Maybe she was racked out to the fullest extent of
> zoom and needed that little bit for the perfect composition.  I would think
> leaning back to compensate for all that front heavy load so you don't fall
> forward and plant the lens into the ground.  I'll have to watch others more
> carefully from now on to see if this is an anomaly or the status quo.
>
> I like the third shot of the singer.  Was she any good?

> From: "George Lottermoser" <imagist3@xxxxxxx>

>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=5519>

I certainly don't when using auto focus or zoom lenses.
Though I do occasionally lean back and forth when using primes
and/or manual focus lenses, and range finders - to actually achieve fine focus

No way was she racked full out with that lens.
We were both within 10 - 15 feet to the subject.

The singer definitely had a natural talent, and a strong, unique style.
She covered a lot of material from Natalie Merchant to Bonnie Raitt
and gave every arrangement "her own" jazzy arrangement.
She hit the occasional rough spots - though sailed right on with great charm.

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@xxxxxxxxxxx