[LRflex] Re: IMG: Street photography - Italy with CV wideangle lenses

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:52:01 -0700

Hi Douglas,

I liked your Tower of Pisa photo very much because it brought back fun
memories of my assignment to cover the UN troops ordered out of Egypt before
the 1967

?6 Day war? started. The military base at Pisa was the stop over for planes
loaded with troops who were then transferred to planes returning them to
their mother countries.

In any event a Canadian military PR photog, a Captain and myself flew to
Pisa to cover the arrival of Canadian UN troops as a stop over changing
planes for the flight home to Canada. Your view of the Leaning Tower appears
to have been we were across the street? Boulevard? Sitting out side drinking
beer, a bite to eat and obviously enjoying the great parade of ?Seniorities?
going by. That didn?t last long as soon as the first troop planes arrived
from the desert and we were the only ?media related? people around. So it
gave us much ?private informal conversations? with fresh troops right out of
the Sinai. My good fortune was being the only media photog there.

Given the soldiers were told not to talk to the media, they did as asked.
But simple questions received all kinds of off the cuff information as I
shot pictures of the guys lying about for the next plane. When I had enough
new ?stuff? I?d disappear around the corner of a hanger write my notes and
captions for the film. Bagged them and return for another go. Sneaky devil!
:-)

One may say a kind of ?scoop?  :-)  Finally the big jet arrived to take a
full load. So I asked the Captain of the plane if he wouldn?t mind taking my
bag of film and notes to Canada as a rep from the Magazine would be at
Trenton airbase to pick-it up.  ?Sure says he with a smile and that?s how I
made my first real scoop.?

The next day I was in Tel Aviv and had a couple of quiet days until Monday
morning and the sirens alerted everyone the ?WAR WAS ON!?  I?d been trained
as an officer in the Canadian Armoured Corp so I was ?some what? prepared
for a war scene. Or so I thought. How little was I prepared! :-( :-( That
was until we got out of the city and into the Sinai with the dead bodies
lying about along with all the destroyed Egyptian equipment. . Well that?s
another story for another day of the 6.

The one thing I?ve always kept in mind. If you are going to photograph your
first war go with the Israelis, it starts and it?s over in 6 days and yer on
your way home on the seventh! :-)

Thanks for the Leaning Tower. Oh and the beer was excellent! :-)

Cheers,

Dr. ted