[LRflex] IMG: Ricochets - Doug et al.]

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LRF <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:29:15 -0700

On Oct 22, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Philippe AMARD wrote:

Thanks all for your interest.

And thanks Doug for the photo to illustrate the explanations given.

In my case, I'm not sure they really intended to take off - they simply "ricocheted" /bounced for about 300 yards then gave up and stayed there. It may have been for them a way to get there faster and I didn't notice they were actually paddling, I mean the feet didn't "run". They simply bounced.

maybe coming in for a high speed landing ?

I've seen that here with other species of ducks...

I never thought I could capture this in a single still photo...

Steve

I've just uploaded the other two shots I took ( cropped for curious minds to see the legs). You'll see that the feet don't seem to run. Rather, it's like skiing, or hydrofoils.
The intial picture is number two of three.
The first shot is labelled nb 3, and the last one number 2, could be confusing, the were actually fly/gliding from right to left and not in the reverse ;-) . <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Oiseaux/Ricochets+_1+sur+1_-3.jpg.html >

Steve - camera speed was 1/640.

Thanks all for your interest and lights.
Philippe

Ric Carter wrote:

Actually, they're more like footprints. Swans (and many other water fowl) run across the water very fast to take off. You are seeing the footprints at different stages of splash - sort of a realtime version of time lapse photography.

ric

On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Steve Barbour wrote:

I see the bird frozen in space but the water kicked up from each wingbeat...was there some trickery or mutiple images involved?