[LRflex] Re: IMG: Last from Hawaii

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:31:08 +0100

A beautiful batch of cuties Doug - the treatment of colours make them particularly 'live'. Great job.

Enjoy Kaydence to the full while there - these grow up so fast.

Amitiés
Philippe

Doug Herr wrote:

I'll be returning to California on Friday so this is the last post from Hawaii.
 Little Kaydence is doing very well and Kelsey is complaining that at two weeks
old, Kaydence is growing up too quickly.  Kelsey has recovered enough from the
birth that we were able to go hiking (with Kaydence) today.  Kelsey swears that
Kaydence will grow up outdoors.

A few more pictures:

A Red-whiskered Bulbul:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/pycnonotidae/rwbu01.html

The Nutmeg Mannikin,a member of the Waxbill family (Estrildidae) is a tiny
seed-eater that is easily overlooked in grassy areas:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/numa01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/numa02.html

The Java Sparrow is another Waxbill, often kept as a cage bird:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/estrildidae/jasp00.html

technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R + 1.4x APO-Extender-R, shoulder
stock & monopod.

These are all introduced species.  Many of Hawaii's native landbirds are either
extinct or close to extinction, due to a very large degree to introduced
species, for example: the introduced Indian Mongoose preys on ground-nesting
species, and avian malaria (not a native organism) has eliminated most native
bird species at the lower (warmer) elevations.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Kailua
http://www.wildlightphoto.com