[LRflex] Re: How to sell more M8s, well, sort of...

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:54:15 -0700

On Oct 22, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Douglas Herr wrote:

WHY?
The DMR output is as good as it gets, what's the incentve for existing DMR users?

Doug,

Sorry it has taken me this long to respond but here are my answers.

My personal opinion that if it is possible to upgrade any device or one of its subsystems to keep the user abreast of newer technology, an upgrade deserves the consideration of a feasibility study, which is what I suggested.

Leica has upgraded many features of its cameras using new camera bodies as the upgrade path since I inherited an M4 in 1973 and later bought my first R4; there has also been a continuous stream of new lenses to upgrade the optical subsystem, so what I am suggesting is simply another manner of upgrade.

The answer in this case may well be that I was wrong to begin with to suggest an upgrade of the DMR to a portion of the M8 standard because the DMR is based on the R optical geometry, and therefore, on reflection, I believe the DMR should be upgraded to applicable R10 technology, especially the R10 electronic technology that can be implemented in the DMR.

One obvious DMR upgrade that I would welcome but did not mention could the larger LCD of the M8, which, I think, will now become the minimum size for the R10 and beyond.

Another upgrade I would enjoy could be the reduced raw file size of the M8, half of the DMR raw file size.

Compatibility with the newer SDHC memory cards will arrive soon in a firmware update for the M8, with higher capacity and faster data transfer speeds, which I would also welcome in my DMR.

A smaller, more capable M8-sized battery would also be welcome.

The M8 has, and certainly the R10 will have, a faster microprocessor than the DMR and increased memory, making it possible for an upgraded DMR to inherit some, but not all, of the integrated electro-optical features of the M8 or, better, of the coming R10.

I would appreciate having an electronic subsystem in my DMR that would be capable of running enhanced features that become available as digital image science advances, as it surely will. No one knows where that path will lead and computational capacity is the heart of the matter.

The other reason is that I am leery of the long term support prospects of the DMG because of its small production run. The M8 firmware has already been changed once to meet the needs of a changed piece part when the original part became unavailable.

Leica has, I am confident, laid in a supply of DMR parts to last for a few years but someday they will run out of electronic parts and no replacement will be available.

Incorporating the DMR into a later and larger stream of electronic parts and subassemblies, M8 or R10, would be a step in the right direction for logistic support of the DMR over the long term.

Digital technology changes more rapidly than almost any other technology we hold in our hands and Leica would be wise, IMHO, to learn how to adapt changed digital technology to the more slowly changing technologies of the balance of their products.

I too love my DMR, and think it produces amazing images; I also believe that it can not only be a "better" digital camera but one more likely to live to a ripe old age as other Leicas have done.

With all best wishes, and thanks for your patience,

Bill