[LRflex] Hong Kong Rugby 7's pictures

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:10:15 +0800

Hello Flexers,
I am recovering today from another Hong Kong Rugby 7's. Please see the folder at:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Hk+Rugby+7s+2008/? g2_page=1

http://tinyurl.com/2ywlng

I took the Nikon D300 with the 18 - 200 VR zoom as my main camera (horses for courses) and also the M8 with a variety of lenses. The M8 never made it out of the camera bag. The Nikon seemed so well suited to what was passing before it. The predictive auto focus tracking used with high speed continuous shooting mode worked very well in flat light situations but when the main action in the stadium was in shadow in the afternoon the autofocus tended to be distracted by the lighter sunlight backgrounds on the far side of the stadium behind the players. Still, as you can see from the folder the results were more than satisfactory for the most part. I have not used a camera before which can run 100 frames at 6 frames a second and that really redefined the "decisive moment" for me. The rugby action shots were taken in bursts for the most part and I have chosen the frame which shows the height of the action. Canon still dominated the professional ranks by far - but there were more Nikons this year. I saw one Oly E3 in the hands of someone with a photo pass. The usual action was in the stands, drinking and carrying on, and this year the restrictions on getting on to the pitch challenged several people to avoid the security guards and streak around.
Yes some of those photos are in the folder as well.
C&C welcome as always.
Do enjoy.
Howard
(in humid Hong Kong)