[LRflex] Re: Holiday snaps - crop advice needed

  • From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:45:02 -0700

Douglas (and Ted, for that matter):

I"ve got around 2,100 files in iPhoto that I think are all keepers.

Some I've Photoshopped and printed, some have yet to be printed, others are waiting for my superior knowledge and judgement. (Yeah, right...).

They have so far survived the "Weekly Purge" that has carved the file count down to about 1,700 or so now and then.

As time passes, I find myself thinking, "why the hell did I keep this? It's (a. Out of Focus b. Over/Underexposed c. Not Vertical/Horizontal d. Sort of a dumb/Average/Cliche/Meaningless photo). And so on.

Some have survived the purge because my wife would kill me (grandkids, etc.) if I did, even though "photographically", they sort of suck.

The more I purge, the better my collection works. Besides, most of it is scanned negs on CD so I can always recover that crappy shot if it someday becomes important.

I gotta go with Ted on this one. A little housekeeping now and again makes for a tighter portfolio.

Just do it. It gets to be easier, later.

With Respect,

Bob

On Aug 23, 2007, at 13:33, Ted Grant wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Douglas Sharpoffered and asked:</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Subject: [LRflex] Holiday snaps - crop advice needed</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Before I put one of these into the currently growing vacation gallery</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>(now fairground shots) , I'd like to hear (read) your views on what you</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>think may be the best crop.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>It seems there are at least 3 half-ways reasonable shots in there. Or</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>should I convert to BW too?</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Suggestions and comments are more than welcome</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Cheers</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Douglas</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/20070813-_MG_6952-Edit_full.jpg.html</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/20070813-_MG_6952-Edit_crop1.jpg.html</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/20070813-_MG_6952-Edit_crop2.jpg.html<<<<<<<<<</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
Hi Douglas,
Sorry mate, just dump the picture into file 13, breathe deeply and swear the next time you'll not shoot when one of the subjects is looking straight into the camera. Unless it really matters as part of the photo moment and is meaningful to a successful photograph.

It just doesn't matter how you crop this..... the guy is still standing there looking like.... "Why the hell is this guy taking my picture?” Like a deer in the head lights of your car at midnight! Heck if he were looking any place else you might’ve been able to make something out of it. This way?  FILE 13!  And don’t look back nor cry! J

It’s one of those situations the location is wonderful, the exposure is great! BUT? As a picture of the quality expected from your usual ability of seeing very interesting photo moments, this just doesn’t cut it no matter how it’s cropped!

Best bet? Delete it and look at the scene another day and make improvements!

Harsh critique, but honest. I’d dump it! Period. And quite frankly I don’t care what anyone else says it just can’t be made to work as a worth while photograph! Think about it in this fashion and you’ll agree immediately. Ask yourself…..

“IS THIS ONE OF MY ALL TIME TEN BEST PICTURES?” …………..answer?.......   DELETE! J

ted

<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>