[LRflex] Re: Holiday snaps - Ted's advice was needed

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:46:22 -0700

Douglas Sharp wrote:

Then there's the shot I showed here (with a 12-24 lens on the 20D) that says I'm intruding on him, which makes me nervous in a way, but then again taking a long focal length for shots like these makes me feel like a voyeur.

Hi Douglas!

I agree with the Ted, et al, and feel you've made the right decision.

However, I'm not so sure that you should "feel like a voyeur" when using a longer lens. My PETA man was taken with a 80~200mm Vario Elmar, at about 150mm. Such a lens lets you stand back far enough that the subject does not notice you, and thus allows you to capture a natural expression. When you shoot people with a wide angle lens, they are very likely to give you the "evil eye", because you're invading their space.

Of course, the long lens won't give you the scope that your w/a captured in this shot, but shooting from a suitable distance is simply a good way to get the "at ease" look you want. You should never feel badly about that.