[LRflex] Re: Herman's Canon-R question

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:35:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi Aram,
   I will say that my experiences comparing 'rebel' series camera meters vs my
20D camera weren't very flattering to the rebels. I have extreme respect for
that tier of product and consider Rebels an exceptionally valid route to dSLR
ownership. Hands down they are a great choice, especially if you can use the
price savings on 'glass' to hang off it! BUT, that tricky ole 'but' is always
out there, isn't it! There are things the xxD series cameras do better than
rebel series ones do that can be quite important considerations depending upon
the photography one engages in or expects to engage in with their camera. In no
particular order I'd say those considerations are: AF system speed, accuracy
and low light sensitivity, Metering Systems both flash and available light,
frame capture rates and buffer efficiencies, and camera durability itself. The
questions to answer when choosing Rebel vs xxD vs xD vs 1D/Ds start with one's
budget and what subjects or
 events and where one will be shooting and why rather than which camera is
better than another. If a buyer goes with a 5Dmk2 because they consider it the
best camera, but then can only afford to hang a crappy off brand zoom off it-
they didn't buy the best camera then, did they!
Richard in Sunny but Shivering Michigan

Never Argue with an Idiot. They'll drag you down
to their level and beat you with experience.