[LRflex] Hell bent...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:06:11 -0700

Last Sunday our town hosted the Little Britches Rodeo ... a rodeo for kids who either want to become "real" rodeo cowboys when they're older, or just want to have some fun.

Barrel Racing is the girls sport of choice,and some of them are very, very good at it. It's a timed event, with the riders having to circle three barrels laid out in a "T" shape, and then dash for the finish line. It is a sport of both speed and control.

To gain maximum speed from their steed, the riders often use their legs (still in the stirrups) to slap the sides of the horse, to urge the horse on. Carried to an extreme, this can lift the rider's butt a few inches off the seat of the saddle.

Riding in such a fashion is known, in this part of the west, as riding "Hell bent for leather" - an expression which dates back to the 1890's and Kipling's tales of the British Army in India.

But, never before have I seen a rider going "Hell bent for Leather" like this girl!

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/barrel-1.htm

Comments, criticism welcome, as always.