[LRflex] Re: Going Loony

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:21:06 -0700

At 06/06/2007, you wrote:
>David:  You have had a few weeks with the Canon and the adaptor.  As you no
>doubt know, Ted has advocated the use of Leica glass with the Canon and the
>adaptor for quite a while.  I wonder if you might give us some opinion as to
>the quality of pictures taken with your late and lamented DMR vs. the Canon
>with the same Leica glass and the adaptor?   Any other comments that you
>care to share concerning the two "approaches" would be interesting and
>informative.

Hi Elliot!

You're not going to like the answer... but there is no contest.  The
DMR wins, hands down!

The DMR is large, heavy and expensive.  However, it has no AA filter,
which is installed in virtually every other dSLR, to reduce Moire
patterns.  It does this by blurring the shot, which is then
re-sharpened in software, within the camera.   Thus the edges are
sharp, but the fine detail (fur on animals, texture in feathers) is missing.

When I first had the 20D, I thought it was absolutely marvelous.  And
certainly, it is good enough to produce shots that impress most
people when printed in  30x45cm (12x18" ) size. But, if you compare
two shots, one from the DMR and one from the Canon, side by side, in
that size, the DMR shot has much more fine detail present.

I belong to a camera club, in Kamloops, which has a LOT of Nikon
users.  It seems that Canon have the most aggressive AA filters,
which is one way they help reduce the noise in their cameras, while
Nikon have a less aggressive filter.  This is evidenced by the almost
universal comments that the Nikon images are "sharper" than Canon ones.

Neither, however, is a match for the DMR.

Although Leica did the only honourable thing left to them, regarding
my DMR, it was not the outcome I wished.  I view my LeiCanon only as
a stopgap measure, until the R10 comes along.   At that time, if the
R10 is suitable to my needs (I hope it will be) and priced in line
with the M8, I'll probably buy one.  If not, I will likely sell all
and go with Nikon or Pentax. (I am VERY impressed with the Pentax
K10D I bought for Rose!

Either way, I'll most likely have my Telyt-400 converted to a "T"
mount, so that I can use it on a Leica, Nikon, Canon, Pentax or what
have you!

On the plus side of the Canon, their AF/FC is very good... so far I'm
very pleased with the accuracy of Focus Confirmation.  And the
smaller size/weight of the Canon is a big plus, too!

As mentioned earlier, we will be at the next Photokina, when the R10
is to be introduced. At one point, I had some hopes of perhaps having
an R10 to test, prior to it's introduction, as I did with the M8.
However, after the DMR debacle, with Leica, I think my chances of
this are greatly reduced.  :-(

If you have specific questions regarding the comparison,  never
hesitate to ask.