[LRflex] Re: Glorious weather in the garden - the continuing story, a culinary reportage

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:25:45 +0200

Bill,

If only they would :-)

Thanks for your comments, we hope today's weather is as good to you as we had it here today.

The cake is now gone - unfortunately.

All the best from sub-tropical Hannover - I never thought I'd have to water the garden in April.
Douglas

William B. Abbott III wrote:
Douglas,

Thanks for a visual and culinary treat. It is wonderful domestic reportage, possibly Pulitzer Prize material.

I enjoyed the clear, concise, and colorful captioning too. Magnum, Reuters, Getty Images, and all the other big photo houses will come knocking on your door soon, I am sure, to sign you up.

Sorry I won't get to the cake in time, but you have the first chapter of Sharp's illustrated cookbook of Hannover holiday cuisine ready for the publishers when they arrive.

All the best from California on Easter morn, where the sun is just coming up over the surrounding hills.

Bill

On Apr 12, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting,

It's now midday Sunday and it looks as if it's going to be another scorcher :-)

If any one can get here within the next 15 minutes - there's still some cake left. :-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9369.jpg.html

Its like a Black Forest Cherry Cake, but the cake mixture is made of crumbled black bread, 8 eggs and ground almonds. Personally, I think it's better with ground hazelnuts - but don't tell the missus. The icing is a mixture of whipped cream, mascarpone, thickened cherry juice and a shot of rum, sprinkled with almonds and chocolate flakes.

But back to yesterday, and following on from the first three shots:

while the ladies and our son were outside, I had to carry on in the kitchen but with short breaks to get some fresh herbs for the kitchen

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9379.jpg.html

have a pause for a drink and shoot our cherry tree, which is now in full bloom

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9398.jpg.html

stroke the cat - always calming when things are stressful

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9399.jpg.html

Then back to the kitchen to check the main course: cubed belly pork fried in seasoned flour, then very slowly braised overnight in beer and stock with onions, tomatoes and tiny Turkish peppers

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9373-Edit.jpg.html

put the spuds (potatoes) on to steam and warm the soup through (yellow and orange lentils with fenugreek, coriander, ginger and coconut milk and a dollop of my homemade apricot and peach chutney with chopped Scotch Bonnet peppers)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9380.jpg.html

The final touch - after liquidising - add very finely pared, fresh Chinese garlic (no separate cloves, it's all in one piece)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9389.jpg.html

Bring it out into the garden and serve sprinkled with fresh coriander and parsley (see herb garden)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9392.jpg.html

After the soup, a beer and, dare I admit it - a quick Gauloise. Then the main course.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9395.jpg.html

The beer is called Turmbläser and is a brand sold by the Netto supermarket chain in Germany - mild and slightly sweet, a bit like Belgian beers.

I refrained from taking pictures of the washing up :-)

Cheers
Douglas

<douglas_sharp.vcf>

begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1