[LRflex] Re: For the gear-heads amongst us....

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:13:53 +0100

???
my! a steady hand or a tripod can't do with Canon?
The L1 fares pretty well in those circumstances - I don't understand the rationale of Canon prescriptions
phx

Andy Wagner wrote:

David
A breif word of caution re the use of a mono or tripod with IS. I don't know if it is true with the OLY but I know for Canon lenses with IS the instruction book specifically states not to use IS with a Tipod as it will burn out the gyros an or motors.

David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    At 16/03/2008, you wrote:

    OOPS!!!!!!!!
    Obviously this was sent before it's time. ;-)
    The 400 isn't bad at all given the sharpness as shown without any
    extra support. Damn fine actually. Sure makes it nice long reach
    sports lens. Or in the wilderness a good birder lens set up.
    I prefer the Leica shot as it appears crisper look compared to
    the Zuiko. But the hard to tell on screen sometimes.
    ted

    Hi Ted!

The 400 shot is quite amazing, I think, under the circumstances. I'm beginning to feel that if the Zuiko lenses aren't the equal of
    the Leica ones, they're bloody close.  See the Not In Service,
    post, earlier today.  Between the two shots in the Telyt IS test,
    the telyt shot shows more contrast, but I think this is simply due
    to the nature of the scene.

    Most importantly, it tells me that with a monopod and the shoulder
    stock, I should, indeed, be able to use it as a "birder".  I am
    also planning on trying it with the 1.4x Zuiko converter.  Watch
    this space!

    Cheers!

    PS: for fun, I did try the Telyt, on a tripod, with both the
       1.4x Zuiko and 2x Leica converters....  results, as you might
    imagine, were dismal.  Even on a tripod, noticeable blur from
    motion, and very low resolution.   Still, for a 2240mm  (FoV) f 19
    combination, it did generate an image!!!

    ---

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

    <http://www.furnfeather.net/>
    <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>