[LRflex] Re: For the gear-heads amongst us....

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:05:38 -0700

Thanks for doing that for me.  I have learned that even Glaziers, a large
camera store in Seattle, does not have any Olympus gear.  That is too bad.
There might not be an E-3 to be had or looked at in all of Seattle.  I'll have
to check into Kenmore Camera, too.

Maybe in southern california I'll stumble upon a store that has it.

Thanks again and I'll tell my mom you said "Hi" :-)

Aram

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:29:14 -0700To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [LRflex] Re: For the gear-heads amongst us....At
16/03/2008, you wrote:
I wish I could find one to look at.  The finder is the key for me.  My Rebel
XTi is piss poor, but it was a retirement gift from my wife and all I could
afford anyway, so I am making due, but not so well with manual focus Leica
lenses, even with focus confirmation.  It is the metering that is so
undependable.  If it is indeed close to R8, then it would work just fine for
me, but no one at any store I have access to has one.  How does it do metering
when you change the f-stops?  Does it give the correct exposure say if you
focus at f-2.8 then stop down to f-8?  If I go to Seattle next weekend I will
have to see if Glaziers has one. Wish I had an adapter to try, too. It will be
a short visit, unfortunately (just a day trip) to check up on my mom before we
take off for Death Valley and all points south.Aram Good Mornin' Aram! Exposure
does change when you close down the aperture on a Leica lens, when used with an
adapter on the E3.   The difference, after casual observation, seems to be
about 1/2 stop overexposure for each full stop the lens is closed down.  So,
similar to the Canon, but the problem seems not quite so pronounced.As far as
focus goes ... you can use the Live View (it's slow, because the mirror must
flip about) with the 10x focus magnification, for critical work.  (I know this
can be done, but have not tried it yet!)  I find live view for close up work to
be a delight, but it is only for tripod work. Combine that with mirror pre-fire
and results are excellent. Too slow, for any form of general photography, I
think.Last point on close ups ... the 12~60mm Zuiko does incredible close-ups,
out of the box.  Add the 1.4x converter and you get more working distance,
without changing the close focus of 10 inches (.25 meter).  That's the setup
I've been using for the adapter & lip shots.  The E3 is worth looking at. I
think you'll find the finder a big improvement (brighter) over the porro-mirror
system used in Canon's Rebel series and the focusing screen is ideal for manual
focus of just about any lens.Have fun in "Death Valley and points south".  Say
"hi" to your mom for us, too!  (That should confuse her! ;-) )Safe
journey!David.