[LRflex] Re: For the gear-heads amongst us....

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:29:14 -0700

At 16/03/2008, you wrote:

I wish I could find one to look at. The finder is the key for me. My Rebel XTi is piss poor, but it was a retirement gift from my wife and all I could afford anyway, so I am making due, but not so well with manual focus Leica lenses, even with focus confirmation. It is the metering that is so undependable. If it is indeed close to R8, then it would work just fine for me, but no one at any store I have access to has one. How does it do metering when you change the f-stops? Does it give the correct exposure say if you focus at f-2.8 then stop down to f-8? If I go to Seattle next weekend I will have to see if Glaziers has one. Wish I had an adapter to try, too. It will be a short visit, unfortunately (just a day trip) to check up on my mom before we take off for Death Valley and all points south.

Aram

Good Mornin' Aram!

Exposure does change when you close down the aperture on a Leica lens, when used with an adapter on the E3. The difference, after casual observation, seems to be about 1/2 stop overexposure for each full stop the lens is closed down. So, similar to the Canon, but the problem seems not quite so pronounced.

As far as focus goes ... you can use the Live View (it's slow, because the mirror must flip about) with the 10x focus magnification, for critical work. (I know this can be done, but have not tried it yet!) I find live view for close up work to be a delight, but it is only for tripod work. Combine that with mirror pre-fire and results are excellent. Too slow, for any form of general photography, I think.

Last point on close ups ... the 12~60mm Zuiko does incredible close-ups, out of the box. Add the 1.4x converter and you get more working distance, without changing the close focus of 10 inches (.25 meter). That's the setup I've been using for the adapter & lip shots.

The E3 is worth looking at. I think you'll find the finder a big improvement (brighter) over the porro-mirror system used in Canon's Rebel series and the focusing screen is ideal for manual focus of just about any lens.

Have fun in "Death Valley and points south". Say "hi" to your mom for us, too! (That should confuse her! ;-) )

Safe journey!

David.