[LRflex] Re: For Ted... and everybody else....

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:17:31 +0200

Well 'nudged ' Sir!!

BTW, Ted, does the same apply when shooting on a private site - e.g. the VW complex in Wolfsburg - would I have to get a release from VW?

Cheers
Douglas

David Young wrote:
At 03/10/2008, you wrote:
Doug Herr asked:
>>>DID YOU GET A SIGNED MODEL RELEASE????<<
David responded:
>> And, no, I didn't. But then, just like birds, you don't need one, if their faces don't show.<<<< David mon ami, Because this is a beautiful photograph with what looks like a high potential for sale, may I suggest you get a release as soon as you can. Better safe than sorry! YOU may not be able to see “their faces.” But they can recognize themselves from the back and in a court of law with a very good lawyer who knows how to pull “yer ying yang” he or she could easily nick you for more dollars than you’d ever imagine! Particularly if the photo were used by an advertising agency on the premise of… “Well you can’t see their faces, so who can tell who they are?” The scary part is the people in the photo can tell who they are and that’s all that matters, face or no face.
Get the release then you have it!
Actually, most if not any stock agency, reputable ones anyway or certainly any advertising agency wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole without a release. I nearly lost $13,500. 00 dollars a few years back for exactly the same reason. I said, “You can’t see his face! So what’s the big deal?” Look at it this way… “It was $13,500.00 or not!!” And that was the big deal! My good fortune when I tracked the subject down, guess what? He had died! And their weren’t any heirs so I was home free and $13,500. in pocket! Trust me, if you don’t get the release for a couple of prints you may rue the day you didn’t have it in hand! Don’t think about it, get the release! Particularly if these ladies are as close as you say, give each a print and get them to sign, period!
Done and over with and yer ass is covered!!
ted

Good Mornin', Ted!

OK... OK. I'll get the release! However, it is interesting to me that I've had several, recent discussions about this very thing with the lawyers and agents at the Knowledge Network. They maintained that I did not need a release from the middle chap (in the red) even though his face is partially visible.

http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/MHH_title.htm

Moreover, they have told me that if the back of a person's face is to the camera, a release is not required.

I was able to get the release, so I did - and they bought the photo, though they would have done so without a release.

I like the shot, but had not considered that it might have good sales potential. It seems I may be wrong!

It seems that I do many smart things only after a solid nudge from you, Ted!
So, I'll consider myself "nudged", once again.

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/> Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>