[LRFlex] Re: Flash mode on R,enlight me up

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:52:33 -0800

Xavier wrote:

Beside, a flash does not cover the wide angles....

Hi Xavier!

Like you, I prefer not to use flash... but there are times when you have no choice.

I use a Vivitar 283 that I've had for years. I hated it until someone showed me the Sto-Fen diffuser. It's a simple, overpriced milk white plastic cap that fits over the head of your flash. Much softer shadows than with a bounce flash, and it spreads the light out enough that it covers my 21mm Super Angulon! (They claim it'll do the 19mm!) However, it does reduce the maximum range of the flash, so for long shots you have to remember to take it off!

Since I got the Sto-Fen, I've enjoyed flash photography! So much so, that when I recently had the chance to buy a Metz 32 with TTL measurement on the R8, I decided against it. The 283/Sto-Fen combo works so well, I couldn't justify spending the money!

There is, however, one downside to flash shots. Last weekend, Rose and I got together with a bunch of friends in Vancouver. I took the Vivitar and made sure my NiMH batteries were fully charged. When I got there, I discovered I'd accidentally flipped the switch to 'on' and they'd drained to nothing! No flash shots that night! :(

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm