[LRflex] Re: FS: 90 Summicron-R - Price reduced!

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:16:22 -0800

Eric wrote:

Hi David,
I had some fun with studio lights last weekend shooting informal
portraits using the same type of lens you're selling: Summircon-R
90mm.  Camera was a Canon 20D with focus confirmation Leica-R adapter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/2302636517
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/2302636489

IMHO, this lens also has nice out of focus 'bokeh' as these experiments suggest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/517423371
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/518534548

I really like this lens and wouldn't want to part with it....but
understand that your preferred focal lengths have more of a telephoto
emphasis. Comments and critique always welcome,

Best regards, and congralations on your new Olympus E-3!
~ Eric

Hi Eric!

The two portraits are superbly lit, and the "look" of the first one ("My cup of Tea") is just gorgeous. You have captured the essence of this woman wonderfully. All I can say is that I wish I'd taken it! Well done, you!

I am, indeed, sorry to part with my 90 Summicron. It has been a faithful companion for many years and until I got the 80~200/f4 Vario, it was my most used lens.

But, I am, unfortunately, suffering from some eye troubles and manual focus lenses are becoming a challenge that I do not need. The Focus Confirmation adapters (I have several for my Canon 30D) help, but not enough. So, perfect or not, it's a switch to AF, for me. Because of the extremely shallow DOF, I am still able to focus the Telyt 400 and will continue to use it on the E3. (Actually, the finder is so much better on the E3 than on the 30D, that I think I'll do better with the Telyt than I have been managing.) Ditto with the 50 Summicron, for close ups & tripod work.

So, you see, although I am swapping some glass, I am not leaving Leica. Just trimming my stock, a wee bit! :-)

I know the Oly lenses, whilst very good, are not as good as Leica's... but I believe they are close ...certainly as close as the "L" series from Canon. And, at this stage, a sharp shot from a less than perfect lens is better than a fuzzy shot from a perfect piece of glass!

BTW: the 90 Summicron has now been sold. (Not sure whether to put a :-) or a :-( here!)

Keep up the good work with your Summi, Eric ... you're doin' fine!