[LRflex] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:28:11 -0500

Hi Doug,

Recently, you wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:15:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
> From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> What bothers me about Puts' review is its emphasis on sharpness only.
> No mention of dynamic range, one of the most significant problems of
> digital capture, which several DMR users have stated is significantly
> better with the DMR than their own 1Ds Mk II equipment.  Likewise
> Erwin barely mentions color rendition, again one of the strengths of
> the DMR as reported by several users.

Dynamic range is probably not the issue, as decent digital cameras can
capture a broad range of light values. However, the the contrast range --
the ability to render subtle shadings -- is visibly less than one can get
with film. I suspect that this is a difficult matter to discuss in an
objective way. Sharpness is easier to define and present objectively. It's
difficult to speak of color rendition in objective terms, and it may be
more related to contrast range (color depth) than dynamic range. As with
film, contrast range is a trade-off against sharpness, and it appears that
Leica has made the choice to emphasize this quality in the DMR. A broader
contrast range might explain why Peter finds it easier to acquire the
color of his floral shots with the DMR.

> If one is primarily interested in sharpness and wants to go no
> further than the cameras' default setting and the one-size-fits-all
> software developer Puts used then his review has significant merit.
> For the more experienced user who will optimize the cameras's
> settings and use optimum software to devlop the RAW files this review
> prompts more questions than it answers.

I suspect that "the market" prefers the higher sharpness with lesser
contrast range, and Puts' review only acknowledges that preference.

Regards,

Neil